Procedure to register a marriage in Singapore and obtain a marriage license
In Singapore either civil marriage or religious marriage, it must be registered and obtain a license from the marriage registrar. To register a marriage whether Singaporeans or foreign nationals, they need to submit valid documents required. Check the procedures and documents required in the below mentioned points.
- You must file a prior notice of your marriage in the official ROM (Register of Marriage) link
- Notice period must be 21 days from the date of your marriage and notice period validity / expiry is 3 months. For example: If your marriage date is 25 June, you must file a notice on 4 th June and expiry date is 4th September.
- You should visit Registry of Marriages to verify the required documents and for Statutory Declaration (VD / SD). Appointment for Verification of Documents/Statutory Declaration)
- If your marriage will be held outside ROM, you need to invite the licensed solemnizer and 2 witnesses above 21 years old. Check here for the list of licensed solemnizer. Give a gentle reminder to the invited licensed solemnizer about the booked marriage date and venue. You need to get signature in the Solemnize consent form.
- Either bride or groom must stay in Singapore for 15 days before filing a notice of marriage. After 15 days, apply online and file a marriage notice before 21 days. Then it is not required to stay during these 21 days.
- Once you file a marriage notice, a summary of marriage notice with the list of documents required will be sent.
- Take a printout of the summary of notice and keep with you during the appointment at ROM.
Documents required to file a notice of marriage in Singapore
- NRIC is required for Singapore Citizen / Singapore Permanent residents and passport is required for foreigners.
- 2 witnesses above 21 years old
- If marriage solemnization will be held outside ROM, Solemnizer consent form is required.
- Singaporeans or foreigners should submit the proof / evidence of the termination of any previous marriages if any or divorce certificate or death certificate if applicable.
- MAke a payment for filing a notice (refer the payment mentioned below).
Marriage Outside ROM in Singapore
If your marriage will be held outside ROM, you need to follow the below steps.
- Choose your marriage date, time, venue.
- Choose the Licensed Solemnisers. Make an arrangement with the solemniser and confirm the date, time and venue atleast 3 months prior to the marriage date.
- Get the signature from your Licensed Solemniser in the Solemniser Consent Form.
Payment can be made either online or e-kiosks in ROM.
For either groom or bride is Singapore Citizen or PR: S$42
For both partners are foreigners: S$380
For more details, visit https://www.rom.gov.sg/reg_info/rom_marriage_process.asp
ROM (Register of Marriage) contact phone number, address, hours
Address: Registry of Marriages
7 Canning Rise
Phone: 6338 7808 (for any Enquiry)
Fax: 6339 3328
Business hours: Monday – Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm, Saturday 8.30am to 12.00pm
Self-help Kiosk: (NETS/Cashcard payment only)
Monday – Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm; Saturday 8.30am to 11.30am